CJ's Chicago Style
GYROS - ITALIAN BEEFS
AUTHENTIC CHICAGO DOGS
& Much More!
CJ's is Your CHICAGO Connection!
Everything you need to top a dog or spice up a Italian Beef.
Great for picnics, tailgating and grill-outs.
Vienna Beef, Jays & other Authentic
↓ FUN and INTERESTING Stuff ↓
THE ORIGINAL CHICAGO STYLE HOT DOG
What is a gyros? A Greek sandwich that consists of
1. Warmed pita bread
2. Sliced gyros meat
5. Tzatziki sauce (cucumber sauce)
↓ More FUN and INTERESTING Stuff ↓
ARE YOU FROM THE MIDWEST? You Gotta read this! :)
misunderstandings that frequently develop when Easterners and
Californians cross states such as: Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota, these state tourism councils have adopted a set of information guidelines:
In an effort to help outsiders understand the Midwest, the following list will! be handed to each driver entering the state:
1. That farm boy standing next to the feed bin did more work before breakfast than you do all week at the gym.
2. It�s called a 'gravel road,' No matter how slow you drive, you're going to get dust on your Navigator. I have a four wheel drive because I need it. Drive it or get it out of the way.
3. We all started hunting and fishing when we were seven years old. Yeah, we saw Bambi. We got over it.
4. Any references to "corn fed" when talking about our women will get you whipped ... by our women.
5. Go ahead and bring your $600 Orvis Fly Rod. Don't cry to us if a flathead catfish breaks it off at the handle. We have a name for those little trout you fish for...bait.
6. Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot.
7. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of mallards are making their final approach, we will shoot it! You might hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time.
8. That's right. Whiskey is only two bucks. We can buy a fifth for what you paid in the airport for one drink.
9. No, there's no "Vegetarian Special" on the menu. Order steak. Order it rare. Or, you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the two pounds of ham and turkey.
10. You bring Coke into my house, it better be brown, wet, and served over ice.
11. So you have a sixty-thousand dollar car you drive on weekends. We're real impressed. We have quarter of a million dollar combines that we use two weeks a year.
12. Let's get this straight. We have one stoplight in town. We stop when it's red. We may even stop when it's yellow.
13. Our women hunt, fish, and drive trucks--because they want to. So, you're a feminist. Isn't that cute.
14. Yeah, we eat catfish. Carp, too--and turtle. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the bait shop.
15. They are pigs. That's what they smell like. Get over it. Don't like it? Interstates 70, 80, &90 go two ways--Interstates 29 &35 go the other two. Pick one and use it accordingly.
16. The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season. It's a religious holiday. You can get breakfast at the church.
17. So every person in every pickup waves. It's called being friendly. Understand the concept?
18. Yeah, we have golf courses. Don't hit in the water hazard. It spooks the fish.
19. That Highway Patrol Officer that just pulled you over for driving like an idiot...his name is "Sir"...no matter how old he is.
Now, enjoy your visit.
Feel Lucky Punk?
Do you remember the scene from the Dirty Harry movie where Harry and his partner investigate a murder scene? Both Harry and the partner are eating a dog. They look over the bloody mess of a guy who just got gunned down. Harry remarks "That is absolutely SICKENING". The partner responds "Yeah the guy was in the prime of his life, and now look at him". Harry retorts "NO, not HIM, you just put KETCHUP ON A HOT DOG!".
Here�s the rule.
If you ask us for ketchup on the dog, L we can not with a clear conscience put KETCHUP on it. It would be a violation of CJ�s Chicago Dogs law. The best we can do is dutifully make the Dog with all the appropriate trimmings, wrap it up, and then ceremoniously throw a ketchup packet to you so YOU CAN RUIN IT YOURSELF! Nothing personal, KETCHUP DOES NOT BELONG ON A HOTDOG! Most of all, a CJ�s Chicago Style Hot Dog. It�s just the Law. J
We frequently get a supply of Jays Potato Chips from Chicago !!!!
Can't stop eating 'em!
Below is some interesting facts about the history of Potato Chips and the Jays Company.
The history of the modern day potato chip started in a very simple way. Leonard Japp, Sr. and a friend bought a rickety truck in 1927 for $50 - $5 down and the rest in payments. They picked up their first load of pretzels for $22.50. By 1929 the pair had a fleet of delivery trucks on the road, shiny new frying vats and fair reason to believe the best was yet to come.
Then the stock market crashed.
Japp proved resilient, however, bouncing back by the mid-1930�s with a new partner and a second go-round at snacks. The pair�s business flourished under their house brand, Mrs. Japp�s Potato Chips, until Pearl Harbor nearly drove them out of business because of the name�s negative connotation.
"We had to rename our company fast. The name Jays was available so we made it Jays Foods," Japp, Sr. said.
With the potato chips back on the shelves under the Jays name they became Chicago�s premier potato chip. Jays bolstered its position in the market by including recipes on its bags of chips created by Japp�s wife, Eugenia. With his successful business Japp ventured into other snack territories and began manufacturing popcorn, pretzels and tortilla chips. Jays Foods remained under family control until a decision to sell the company was made in 1986.
At a 90th birthday party for Japp, Sr. the rumor was that Jays was on the selling block. Leonard Japp, Jr. turned to his father and asked "Do you want to go back to work?" To which the elder replied "Yeah, why not."
So the Japp family reacquired the company in 1994. Jays Foods was born again with the same commitment for quality snacks that has made them the Midwest�s premier snack manufacturer.
UPDATE 2005 Jays now has new owners
UPDATE 2008 Jays now has new owners again.
More Fun News
CHICAGO, July 3 2003-- To celebrate National Hot Dog Month and the Fourth of July, the Chicago-based Vienna Beef assembled the world's longest hot dog, measuring 16 feet, 1 inch and topping the previous record of 15 feet, 3 inches recorded in Pennsylvania in 2001. Link To Photo
The giant feat took place Wednesday near Buckingham Fountain during the annual Taste of Chicago food festival.
The Chicago-style hot dog recipe is famous all over the world. It starts with a Vienna all-beef hot dog, which is made only in Chicago, steamed and served on a poppy-seed bun, also made in Chicago. Hot dog experts refer to the condiment process as "dragging it through the garden," starting with yellow mustard, bright green relish, fresh chopped white onion, two tomato wedges, a kosher pickle spear, two sport peppers and finishing with a dash of celery salt.
"July is National Hot Dog month and what better way to celebrate than to deliver to Chicago the world's longest hot dog during the Taste of Chicago," said Tom McGlade, executive vice president of Vienna Beef. Vienna Beef is the official hot dog of the Taste.
Americans will enjoy 150 million hot dogs on July 4th alone and consume more than 2 billion hot dogs during the rest of the month for a summer total of 7 billion. Chicago is home to some 1,800 hot dog stands serving Vienna Beef -- totaling more than the top five major fast food chain outlets in Chicago combined.
The Chicago-style hot dog dates back to 1893 when two young immigrants brought their frankfurter recipe from Austria-Hungary to Chicago's at its World's Fair/Columbian Exposition. The newfangled hot dog sandwich quickly became Chicago's favorite treat. It wasn't long before the entire country discovered Vienna.
Assembling the world's longest hot dog, which weighed eight pounds, required:
Vienna Beef donated the equivalent amount of food that made the world's longest hot dog to the Greater Chicago Food Depository, a not-for-profit food distribution center feeding hungry people in Cook County.
About Vienna� Beef
Call 303-674-9293 Evergreen